Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chairs and a bench re-upholstery

A few weeks ago I undertook the challenge of re-upholstering my six dining chairs and a bench belonging to the set. They have been with us over the last 10 years and daily meals with two small children have left their marks.
It was time for change.


As always, it was great fun to select new fabrics and since my dining room is colorful and has beautiful silk curtains, which also were hang the day we moved in 10 years ago, there was the challenge to find suitable fabrics, able to fit in.
Easily enough the first visit to my local fabric store provided me with samples which made it right away on to the furniture!!!


Am I lucky or what?
Here a view into the room with the interim chairs, lasting about two years, while the others were stored away! Thinking of my then still rather messy kids I could not fathom to change fabrics just to get them ruined quickly. We do not have a eat-in kitchen an literally everything happens on this table and these chairs. As a matter of fact, I am writing this post right here at this very table.


First I started with the bench, trying out my skills in re-upholstering and working with the staple gun. It was a bit tough at first. The fabric rather thick and it needed work getting the fabric stretched just enough. Centering the pattern was another thing I worried about. But I was happy with the result to tackle all six chairs - with another fabric.



After a day break in-between - to relax my hands...
I started work at the chairs. The preparation was key. Cutting batting and fabric to size, unscrewing all cushions from the seat base and having enough time without interruption was needed to get it done in one go.
The challenge this time? Getting the fabric straight onto the chairs, this small pattern is tricky.




First one done!


And about six hours later.... all done! So worth it! Cost for fabric and staple gun plus staples: $140.00. Saved about $900.00 for the labor costs of upholstery at the shop plus three weeks waiting time to get it done! A little planning and elbow grease made it possible.



Anybody with chairs in need for a little TLC?

1 comment: